Plenty of adventure and fantasy

ruins of gorlan newTITLE = RANGER’S APPRENTICE Book 1 : The Ruins of Gorlan

AUTHOR = JOHN FLANAGAN

GENRE = ACTION/ADVENTURE, FANTASY,

INTEREST LEVEL = YEARS 7, 8

Will has always dreamed of being a knight, despite his small size. So when he is denied this chance and instead sent to become an apprentice to a ranger he is disappointed, to say the least. It doesn’t help matters that the ranger himself (Halt) is a man of few words and quite a hard task master.

However, under Halt’s tutelage, Will learns that being a ranger is not as easy as he had at first thought: there are many new and unexpected skills for him to learn and several weapons to master. This newly gained knowledge may come in handy when the kingdom faces a dire threat. Is Will up to the challenge? Will he have the courage and the cleverness required to save the day?

This is a fast paced adventure, the first in a series. Will is a likeable hero and has a lot to learn about himself and his friends. It is easy to see why this book has been so popular with so many students: it is a great read.

Find out about later books in the series here: Halt’s Peril and The Kings of Clonmel

Find out more about the series on the great website dedicated to The Rangers Apprentice

And if you like this book, you may also like John Flanagan’s Brotherband series: reviewed here (Book 1 and Book 2)

Highly Recommended (dma) ***** 

Published by

booklover

I am a teacher-librarian in a government school. I love reading and talking about books ... to anyone who will listen!

12 thoughts on “Plenty of adventure and fantasy”

1. the post is verry good and true. it explanes the story well and does not give away the ending….

2. I think its a great book too!
    We had to read it for clas and when i first read it i was bored but as i got deeper into the book my interest for the book got deeper too.

3. i dont mind this itsa bit boring at the start but then i started to like it so give it a shot

4. I didn’t really enjoy this book and it seemed to take me a little while to get through the book because of that. Booklover’s review was interesting but unfortunately I didn’t find it that way as I got further into the book. I recommend this book to older readers because of the content.