Falling in love can take you out of your comfort zone…

TITLE = LIFE IN OUTER SPACE

AUTHOR = MELISSA KEIL

GENRE = FRIENDSHIP, ROMANCE, FAMILY

INTEREST LEVEL = YEARS 10+

Sam is a self-confessed geek – perfectly at home with computers, WOW and obsessed with horror films. But girls are another matter altogether. He has a well-established core of friends including fellow geeks Mike, Adrian and Allison (who is clearly a friend rather than a girl!). So when the beautiful and popular Camilla comes to his (boring) school, in the most (boring) of suburbs, Sam is not prepared for her to become his friend. This does not fit into his ordered world at all – the popular kids mix with the jocks not the nerds. So what is a boy supposed to do?? Especially when other parts of his life appear to be spinning out of control: are his parents splitting up? Why aren’t he and Mike able to talk anymore and why does he punch his friend in the face?? It truly does seem like Sam has wondered out of his comfort zone and into some alien landscape.

An engaging and credible story in which Sam has to learn a few home truths – including the fact that school smarts don’t always translate into people smarts …. But the latter can be learned .. if given enough time. Humorous and touching with a cast of engaging teens – sure to be a hit with girls but boys should enjoy it too.

No wonder this book was Shortlisted for the 2014 CBCA Book of the Year (Older Readers)

Highly Recommended (dma) *****

Published by

booklover

I am a teacher-librarian in a government school. I love reading and talking about books ... to anyone who will listen!

7 thoughts on “Falling in love can take you out of your comfort zone…”

1. I Loved this book!!! it was sweet, funny and realy enjoyable. I felt realy happy when Sam and Camilla finly got together. Im so glad I read this book!!!

2. I Loved this book. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am so happy that i read this book.
    I loved it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. This book was ok. I loved all the neardy referances like batman and the fortress of solitude but the whole love story was just to cliche and mushy.It got on my nerves and I couldn’t finish the book. But it is really is an enjoyable book if your looking for a love story.

4. BEST BOOK EVER!!!
    I love how Sam discribes everything. It’s one of those books that you can’t put down.

5. I haven’t finished this book yet but… WOW what a book I mean its GREAT!!
    plus Sams a lot like me!

6. I met Melissa Keil at the writers festival. She was very nice and told me about a sequal and she mademe a character i nearly fainted