Surviving the ups and downs of life … with a grin

TITLE = A MONTH WITH APRIL-MAY

AUTHOR = EDYTH BULBRING

GENRE = HUMOUR, FAMILIES, FRIENDSHIP, GROWING UP

INTEREST LEVEL = YEARS 7-9

Poor April-May February (yes that is her name!) seems to have it all going against her. Her mum and dad have recently divorced (despite her best efforts to put a stop to their separation) and her first day at her new school is a disaster. Having made an enemy of her teacher, Mrs Ho, April-May thinks she can sort things out with a bit of mischief and behind the scenes hi-jinks … but things don’t always go to plan for April-May and she may just have dug an even deeper hole for herself.

For an intelligent girl (she is a scholarship student, after all) she doesn’t always seem to think things through very clearly. But whilst many of April-May’s misadventures may seem quite funny, what if they put people’s lives at risk?? And will she jeopardise her scholarship and her friendship with Melanie, for a boy??

This is a clever and funny book. Although it is set in South Africa, so some of the words may seem a bit different, the school-based story is easy to follow and quick to read. A glossary of South African terms can be found at the end of the book (but most readers will probably pick up on the meanings via the context of the story).

It is refreshing to read a new author and to learn that schoolgirl troubles in South Africa are not so different from what we might find here in Australia.

Highly Recommended (dma) *****

Published by

booklover

I am a teacher-librarian in a government school. I love reading and talking about books ... to anyone who will listen!

One thought on “Surviving the ups and downs of life … with a grin”

1. I think this was a wonderful book. I totally loved April-May February for her courage and her sense of adventure.